Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bittersweet

Erik is going to Vacation Bible School this week. Our church doesn't do VBS, so he's going to another Lutheran church in town. We visited there one week so he would be a little familiar with the building. I talked about it a little so it wouldn't be a surprise, but didn't dwell on it so much that he got anxious.

When I dropped him off yesterday, he was momentarily upset, but went right over, sat down and played with blocks. Adin and I left the room, talked to someone at a table in the hall and then peeked in, just to make sure he was ok. He was fine. I was very proud of him.

Then today, he was momentarily upset at home before we left, but did not show any distress at all at the church. He just sat down and played and could barely be bothered to say goodbye.

Both days, I was so proud of him, but also had a twinge of sadness. Joe and I have been working with him for years on transitions, separating from us, and mastering his emotions. It's very gratifying to see him do well, but it also hits home how he is one step further from his babyhood. sigh.

No comments: